Dale & Eke is taking the COVID-19 outbreak very seriously.  So, for the purpose of maintaining social distancing under CDC guidelines and to promote the health and safety of our clients, visitors and staff and reduce the spread of COVID-19, our physical office will be closed until further notice.

For the time being we are limiting all in-office meetings to those clients and potential clients who are not feeling ill or who have not shown signs of illness.  However, we are recommending that, unless you make other arrangements with your attorney, all client and potential client meetings occur via telephone or video conferencing.  If you have any paperwork for us that you need to drop off, please use the mail slot outside of the front door to our office.

We can still be reached at our office telephone number (317-844-7400). Your call will be answered by our office phone system and you may leave a voicemail in the general mailbox or with a specific attorney. All voicemails left in the general mailbox will be routed to the requested attorney or staff.

You may also email the firm through its website at  www.daleeke.com.

We will continue to monitor this evolving situation and adjust procedures as necessary.  Your health and safety, and the health and safety of our attorneys and staff, is our highest priority.  We thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain and unprecedented times.

A Professional Corporation of Attorneys at Law

What should your estate plan include?

There is a widely believed misconception that you only need to worry about an estate plan when you are older or when you have a lot of wealth. Throughout your life, you will have different requirements for your estate plan.

However, U.S. News discusses which part of an estate plan most people need to consider. A few key documents are critical to expressing your wishes to your family if something happens to you.

Health care proxy

A health care proxy or medical power of attorney can make healthcare decisions for you if you cannot. For instance, if you are in an accident and lose consciousness, you would have a designated person making decisions for you. He or she should be a person you trust to honor your wishes.

A durable power of attorney

A durable power of attorney can make financial decisions if something were to happen to you. For instance, if you have adult children, you can give them the legal authority to help you with your finances. A durable power of attorney can also help in the case of an emergency if someone else needs to make the financial decisions for you.

Guardianship designation

If you have children, you must take into consideration what would happen if something were to happen to you or their other parent. While a difficult discussion to have, you need to appoint someone. It is better to have someone in mind than to let the state dictate who has custody of your children. When choosing a guardian, consider whether the person’s values align with yours, their child-rearing skills and where they reside.