Dale & Eke is taking the COVID-19 outbreak very seriously.  So, for the purpose of maintaining social distancing under CDC guidelines and to promote the health and safety of our clients, visitors and staff and reduce the spread of COVID-19, our physical office will be closed until further notice.

For the time being we are limiting all in-office meetings to those clients and potential clients who are not feeling ill or who have not shown signs of illness.  However, we are recommending that, unless you make other arrangements with your attorney, all client and potential client meetings occur via telephone or video conferencing.  If you have any paperwork for us that you need to drop off, please use the mail slot outside of the front door to our office.

We can still be reached at our office telephone number (317-844-7400). Your call will be answered by our office phone system and you may leave a voicemail in the general mailbox or with a specific attorney. All voicemails left in the general mailbox will be routed to the requested attorney or staff.

You may also email the firm through its website at  www.daleeke.com.

We will continue to monitor this evolving situation and adjust procedures as necessary.  Your health and safety, and the health and safety of our attorneys and staff, is our highest priority.  We thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain and unprecedented times.

A Professional Corporation of Attorneys at Law

Do you need a license to do business in Indiana?

On Behalf of | May 19, 2021 | Firm News

If you are thinking of opening a business, it was a good idea to look up whether you need a license. Unfortunately, the answer to your question is not an easy “yes” or “no”.

Different types of businesses have different types of legal requirements. This is true of not only the activities you wish to pursue but also the structure you intend to adopt.

Licenses for Indiana businesses

Some types of businesses need a license in Indiana. As explained on the state’s official website, the licensing requirements fall into two general categories: facility ownership and the type of occupation.

Building ownership requirements are relatively complex, so you would probably do a site-specific analysis for each prospective facility. Occupational licensing is usually more straightforward, as you probably already know what type of business you intend to have. Here are some of the operations that require licenses in Indiana:

  • Alcoholic beverage sales or manufacture
  • Financial services, legal services and many other regulated professions
  • Construction and contracting
  • Most types of transportation businesses

These are just the general rules Please keep in mind that, beyond the state requirements, you could have other concerns before you can open your doors officially.

Starting a business is a big step, especially as you scale up. You may need to confirm that your facility or the land on which you intend to build your facility has the correct zoning. For this reason and many others, it is often best to work from the exact details of your business plan up to the regulatory level, rather than the other way around.